Monday, June 16, 2014

Fuck Curtis Lepore

The first time I'd ever even HEARD of an app called Vine, I was drunk and bored while looking for stupid videos on YouTube to cheer me up. I happened across a compilation of people behaving strangely in a series of short videos called Vines, I did a little background research into how the app worked & decided to give it a go. While many of my friends have told me of this "stage presence" they seem to think I possess, I guess I just don't have a knack for poorly edited 6-second video clips of myself.

I'd seen his face at least a few hundred times, but for some fucked up reason THIS is how I found out who he really was: 


I admit, part of me didn't want to believe it at first. Being the natural skeptic that I am, I decided to do a little background research & fact-checking, I came across a celebrity gossip site with a small amount of back-story to what took place. I'm a bit dumb-founded that this happened in OCTOBER and I only found out about this A FEW HOURS AGO, but I just have to ask a question here: Even if Smiles "suffered a concussion," and even if Lepore did what he did to her in that state, how exactly is that a mark against HER? Shitty as it is to say this, we live in a day and age where there are people out there who honestly think that assaulting an unconscious person is completely okay, AND IT'S FUCKING NOT!

Just because you have 4.9 million people following you doesn't by default mean that you're somehow better than everyone else, you're just fucking pig with a mobile phone: That's all you'll ever be.

I only ever made 5 or 6 Vines and only one of them ever so much as received a single comment on them. This is not about popularity validating Lepore's behavior, not to get all "Tea-Party" about this but even Hitler was a popular guy, he was still a shit-head. This is about privilege, and not even specifically white male privilege, which I've already done a post about recently, but celebrity privilege, too. If Lepore were living in my apartment complex & attending the same University I do, odds are he'd probably have been on the receiving end of the ass-kicking of his pathetic little life from the Fayetteville Police, but I can't honestly foresee if he'd actually get a sentence handed to him or not. The University of Arkansas seems to handle Title 9  incidents fairly well, as far as I can tell, but I still know of about 100 female students who's attackers have yet to even have cuffs put on them. It's sad, but this is the age we live in.

And the fact that Lepore still has female fans chasing him is absolutely sickening, this is all the proof I need that HUMAN BEINGS DON'T HAVE SOULS.

Fuck it...
I don't want to support or perpetuate ANY ELEMENT of rape culture...
I'm never using Vine again, this makes me sick & I don't want any part of it.

I'd be foolish to think I could convince the cybersphere to delete their Vine accounts as well, I did this to settle my own conscience and to make my own small stand. Screw you, Lepore. You think upon your shitty behavior next time you knock your head on something and have a concussion, I hope the EMTs that pick you up off the ground are more honest than you apparently are. I may not be famous, maybe I'll never be, but at least I can look at myself in the mirror and not see a monster.

YouTube & Google+ might be glitchy about a couple of things, but at least I can edit my videos as I see fit and get AS MUCH TIME AS I WANT!

No comments:

Post a Comment